Monday 25 June 2012

The Skirt Project

The second project I embarked upon having begin to do embroidery has turned out to be a pretty mammoth task! I have always had an ambitious streak when it comes to craft, I suppose it is the will to create something I will actually use. Perhaps at some point I will show you my second or third crochet project, that was a pretty big deal a while ago.

Anyway, what I wanted to do with this was to embellish a piece of clothing, and still actually be able to wear it. I chose big, bold colourful designs since the way the skirt hangs really demands something dramatic ... oh and I had just bought a large pack of brightly coloured threads!

It is by no means finished, and I'm still working on it bit by bit, but other things, mainly gifts for people took over my attention. So here it is in it's unfinished state, artfully hanging on a rosebush (where else can a girl display her handiwork?)

The skirt project, unfinished as yet, but it makes me happy to look at it!
This project will always remind me of learning various stitches, if only because you can see in it all the mistakes!

You will certainly be able to see from the next picture, evidence of my improving dramatically at chain stitch...

detail from the Skirt project, with chain stitching in the bottom left corner, and much better chain stitch towards the middle!

On the left you will see large clumsy chain stitches, and on the right small delicate ones, you just don't get this kind of character when a machine does all the stitching.

You can even see, in faint orange crayon where the next leaf will sit - when I get around to putting it there.

I have no doubt that you will be seeing this project again, hopefully when I've decided what to do with the rest of the white space - especially the back, I feel like I can't just leave the back blank when the front is so flamboyant!







No comments:

Post a Comment